Thanks for joining me on this journey. In these daily devotionals I won’t include the text of the scripture passages but they are linked to the You Version Bible to make them easy to access if you are on the go. Get cozy, grab a cup of coffee -or tea – your Bible (print copy or electronic) and a journal if that’s your thing. Here we go!
Read: Philippians 3:5-9
Paul lists the accomplishments he believed made him right with God. In his final conclusion he said, “for his sake, I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage…” He knew that nothing he had done would ever make him right with God.
- What do you count on to make you right with God? Have you ever felt like your achievements or your goodness forces God’s hand to provide for you? Bless you? Protect you?
- How does working to be acceptable feel? Are you ready for something easier?
- What does this passage teach us about how we are made righteous?
Read: Daniel 3:16-18
- Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego are going to be thrown into the fiery furnace because they wouldn’t bow down to the statue of Nebuchadnezzar. Even after the king rants and raves and fires up the furnace seven times hotter than usual, the men do not back down. They said, “He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you…we will never serve your gods!
- Have you ever been in a place where you believed God would surely act a certain way? Did he? How did you respond?
- How would your life be different if you approached life in an open-handed way like these three men?
Thank you, Jesus, that I am made right with you through faith. I don’t have to do anything at all. I really want to know you more. Help me to hear your voice in the scripture I read and to listen because I really want to look more like you every day. Amen!